Letting Go

Image result for pics of concrete love bench

A few days ago I walked out  my front door and there was a piece of paper laying on my doorstep.

I picked it up wondering what the what!?

There was a message on it from a stranger asking me to call him. 

He wanted to talk with me about the concrete bench that has been sitting in my front yard for years.  It's been there from way before I owned this house.

I had jury duty and was on my way to the court house to do my duty (which is a whole 'nother story), so I didn't call right then.

I forgot about it for a day or two.  When it came to my mind again, I picked up my phone and called.

The gentleman that answered the phone told me that his wife's great great grandfather had actually made the bench.   He wanted to buy it, if I would sell it, because it was their anniversary and he wanted to surprise her with it.

I thought about it and said "sure, why not?"  We agreed on a price and he said he would be back in touch and come pick it up some time later.

He came today and loaded it into his pickup.   

I asked if his wife knew she was getting it he said "No!"

It is going to be a surprise for her!

This is so sweet.   He loves his wife and wants to give her something that will be meaningful to her ... if I will let it go. 

About an hour after he left, my phone rang.    It was his tearful wife on the phone telling me how much it meant to her that I would sell them the bench.    Not only had her great great grandfather made this bench, but she used to live in the house I live in now.   She has lots of memories of this place and that bench.   She was so excited about having it!

Her husband texted me to thank me.  He said it meant a lot to her.

Sometimes when we let go of something that doesn't mean that much to us, it becomes a treasure for someone else and you receive a lot in return.

It made my day to know that he was able to surprise her and that I got to be a part of it.

Imagine how much we please God when we let go of things that we really don't want or need ...like want and need, anger and bitterness, pride and hurt .... and allow Him to make a treasure of it for us or for someone else.

He turns those things into treasures of wisdom and faith.

He loves to surprise us with treasure!

I bet He loves it when we call Him back to thank Him for it!  It probably makes His day.






Sometimes when we let go of something that 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Altar

All Ya Got!