Little Girl Dreams





As a little girl, I had a lot of dreams about the future. 

Some of them were pretty silly, but hey!  Little girls get to be silly.

I wanted to be a missionary, a teacher, a  stewardess, a nurse, a mother, a go-go dancer, a ballerina, an actress.  I wanted to be on American Band Stand and I wanted to marry Elvis... and then I wanted to marry Mickey Dolenz of "The Monkees" fame even though everyone else was in love with Davy Jones.

This dates me, but one of the most popular songs and one of my favorites as a small child was Doris Day's

"Que Sera, Sera"

When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother
What will I be
Will I be pretty
Will I be rich
Here's what she said to me

Que sera, sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera
What will be, will be

When I grew up and fell in love
I asked my sweetheart
What lies ahead
Will we have rainbows
Day after day
Here's what my sweetheart said

Que sera, sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera

Now I have Children of my own
They ask their mother
What will I be
Will I be handsome
Will I be rich
I tell them tenderly

Que sera, sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera
What will be, will be
Que Sera, Sera

If you get to be very old at all, you realize the truth in these lyrics.   The future is not ours to see.   I don't know that any of us would be brave enough to carry on if we could actually see the future.

The lingo now is:  "It is what it is."    I detest when someone uses this phrase, as though a situation can not be changed.  But you can not deny the truth of it.    Sometimes it just is what it is.

But "it" can be changed when you have the audacity to believe that God is working even in the most trying and difficult circumstances.   When you believe that whatever the outcome, God will turn it to your good and His glory.

Though we can not see the future, our futures can be more amazing than we could imagine when we give our future and our plans and our circumstances to God.  When we let Him make the arrangements and do the work in us.

Little girls dream big.   God's dream for us is even bigger and better!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Altar

All Ya Got!