Fireflies and Snipe Hunts

Accidents happen.  Sickness overwhelms us.  Violence fills our TV screens and social media every day.

People die.   People are seriously injured. 

Even the very young.

Those that are left behind grieve horribly and our hearts break.

Today I was in a conversation with a couple of young ladies.  We were talking about the  recent deaths of local teenagers and also about the school shootings that have occurred. 

One  sad young lady told me that these are the reasons she doesn't want to have children.

She didn't want them to live in a world where these horrible things happen.

She didn't want her children to die young and untimely deaths.

Wanting to protect possible future children, she is thinking of never having them at all.

I immediately thought of my brother and sister who both passed away as young adults.   Greg at 24 and Karen at age 19.

It was horrible.  It was unbearable, yet my parents and my siblings and I were called to bear it.

Decades later I still feel a bittersweet pain in my heart when I think of their deaths.

Oh! But when I think of their lives!

Laughter and smiles and memories of growing up together!

Music and dance and song!

Beauty and wonder!

Shared interests and ideas.

Bike rides and kites flying high!

Fireflies and snipe hunts!

Running and chasing and dreaming!

Playing together and loving each other.

Yes, I am sad that they died young.  But I am so glad and thankful to God that they lived!

Their lives had meaning and purpose.  They lived bravely and joyously.

God has a plan for each of us and He knows the number of our days.

"Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.  And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them." (Psalm 139: 16) NKJV

I no longer ask "Why?"  I just say "Thank You that they were in my life." 

Today is Graduation Day for a lot of high school Seniors.  It's an amazing and wonderful day for you!

Yet some of you have recently experienced the loss of friends or family. 

Honor their lives with your memories of them.  Don't let the sadness and fear limit your plans for the future.

Smile and laugh when you recall their lives.

Trust in Jesus for your future.

Seek Him and His will for you.

Don't be afraid of the future!   Race toward it with open arms! 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do I Do With This Cross

On The Altar

Because ... a prayer